This morning BYU hosted Greg Mortenson, the author of "Three Cups of Tea" and this year's Nobel Peace Prize nominee. He spoke to the students, and what a wonderful speech it was. I was amazed at what he has done in his life, and I have to admit now knowing a bit more about him, I'm disappointed that he did not win the Nobel Prize.
I loved his viewpoint on education, especially educating women. Women teach the next generation, so it should only make sense that they be educated. Mortenson has done a lot of work in the Middle East, where a lot of women and girls do not know how to read. He said, "Teach a girl to read. She will then teach her mother." His viewpoint to end terrorism makes sense. Terrorism and violence will disappear when education can replace it. I have never thought of this, but I really feel like it can be true. He has started many schools, especially schools for girls, in the Middle East, and he says educating these children is helping tremendously. Someday I want a chance to do something like this.
I loved how he talked to children. There were many elementary school children at the lecture, and he talked to them about starting organizations. He told stories of young children who have organizations that are teaching children to read or who are providing some sort of need. I thought this was so great. Teaching children to do good things is so important, especially in a world where children see so much crime and bad things in the media.
It was an amazing lecture. I haven't read "Three Cups of Tea," but it is now next on my list.
No comments:
Post a Comment